Important QnA The computer system class 6 provides the answers to your exercises and some extra questions.
Questions & Answers Chapter 1 The Computer System
Dear Students, In this post we will discuss The Computer System – QnA.
Short answer questions: (2 Marks)
Q – 1 Draw the hierarchy diagram of the classification of computers.
Q – 2 What are mobile computers?
Ans.: Mobile computers are very small in size with in-built memory, storage, and a touch screen that can be carried by users anywhere. For example, Smart Phones, Tablets, etc.
Q – 3 What do you mean by PDA and PMP?
PDA stands for Personal Digital Assistants. These are smaller devices in size that allow a user to perform hands-on functions. It is used for communication, sharing, organizer and provides internet connections to the user.
PMP stands for Portable Media player. This kind of device is used for stores media files such as audio, video, images etc. Users can use this device for entertainment purposes.
Q – 4 Define hardware.
Ans.: Hardware is the tangible parts of the computer or components attached to the computer system. Ex. Keyboard, Mouse, Mother Board, etc.
Q – 5 What is software?
Ans.: Software is a program installed in a computer to perform specific tasks. The software provides an interface to the user and provides a set of commands to fulfill the user’s need. For example, MS Word, MS Excel, etc.
Long answer questions: (5 Marks)
Q -1 Explain the classification of computers according to size.
Ans.: There are four types of computers according to size:
Micro Computers: These are very small size computers. They have smaller storage devices and the user can carry with him/her anywhere he wanted to and or placed at one small fixed place. Ex. Mobile computers, Laptops, Smartphones, computers used at homes and offices
Mini Computers: These typed of computers are bigger than microcomputers. They were introduced in the 1960s but replaced by microcomputers. Ex. CDC 160A, MicroVAX 3100 etc.
Mainframe Computers: Mainframe computers are bigger than mini computers and consume more space to fix them. They are used for huge data processing and handles millions of files at a time such as government offices, airlines, and banks. Ex. IBM 4381, DEC 10 etc.
Super Computers: They are the biggest and most powerful computers. They required a whole room to fix. They can handle trillions of instructions per second. It is mostly used by large companies to perform metric computations. Ex. PARAM, ANURAG are supercomputers developed by India, etc.
1. Optical Character Reader (OCR): OCR is used to scan the characters from the printed document or handwritten text. It can read the text as well as images.
2. Magnetic Ink Character Reader: It contains special ink with magnetic particles of iron oxide. It read the characters written by magnetic ink. It mostly used in banks to read and identify cheques.
3. Bar Code Reader (BCR): It is generally found in malls or shops which read the vertical thick and thin lines on any product and take input from the sticker.
4. Optical Mark Reader (OMR): If you have appeared in any olympiad exam then you may familiar with the OMR sheet. OMR scanner reads the marks done on the OMR sheet.
5. Smart Card Reader: Smart Card readers read the magnetic strips given on smart cards. These devices read the data stored in form of numbers and characters on a magnetic strip. Ex. A debit card or credit card
2. Monitor: The monitor is also another important device for the computer system. As it displays the output on the screen. There are three types of monitors:
CRT (Cathode Ray Tube)
LCD (Liquid Crystal Display)
LED (Light Emitting Diode)
3. Speaker: If want to hear the sound, audio or music then you need to attach speakers to the computer system. These devices generate the output in the air.
Q – 4 What are the types of software? Explain in brief with example.
Ans.: There are two types of software. Let us understand with the following hierarchy diagram.
1. System Software: Computers are useless rectangular box without system software. The system software performs important system functions such as device management, process management, user management etc. There are three types of system software:
A. Operating System: OS provides an interface to the user to perform the system-related functions. It is also responsible for the management of computers’ various functions and devices.
B. Language Processors: The computer does not understand the language of users. So language processors translate the language which computers can understand. There are three types of language processors:
i. Assembler: Convert instructions written in assembly language to machine language.
ii. : Compiler converts a program written high-level language to machine language.
iii. Interpreter: It also converts a program written in a high-level language to machine language
C. Drivers: Drivers are responsible to run the hardware attached to the computer system
2. Application Software: It is used to perform a specific task on the computer. They perform only those tasks for what they designed and developed. There are three types of application software
A. General Purpose Software: These types of Softwares serve the general purpose like preparing documents, spreadsheets, presentations, playing audio and video, previewing images, reading pdf files, etc.
B. Package: They are a set of general-purpose software as a single unit. For example, MS Office, Adobe, Macromedia, etc.
C. Utility: Utility software designed to maintain the computer system and work upon a few system functions which do not perform by OS. Ex. Antivirus Software, Data Recovery tools, etc.
Q – 5 Differentiate between compiler and interpreter.
It reads the whole program at once.
It reads program line by line
It displays errors after checking the whole program
It displays errors after executing each line
It creates an object file
It does not create any other file
It is a user-friendly language processor
It is system friendly processor
Programming languages like C, C++ uses compiler
Programming languages like java, python uses an interpreter
Q – 6 Write a short note on computer languages.
Ans.: Computer systems are is a set of the following:
Hardware: Physical Components
All of these have their own language. So to do communication with them computer uses three types of languages:
Machine or Low-level language
1. Machine Langauge or level language: This is the language that the computer understands. It uses only 0s and 1s to represent data in the system. If the program is written in binary codes it performs well in the system as it does not require any language translator.
2. Assembly Language: This language uses a few English words on a chip or device. To read this assembler is used as a translator. It is a little bit slow compared to machine language.
3. High-level Language: It uses our common English words to write programs along with symbols and numbers. A script written in a high-level language is known as a source program. The program is translated through the compiler or interpreter and then produces the results.
That’s all from the article The computer system – classification of computers. Enjoy the learning and share this link with your friends.