In this article, I will discuss CBSE affiliation process required documents. As you know now CBSE has made a lot of changes for affiliation under various categories. So let us begin!
CBSE affiliation process required documents
CBSE has launched a new portal SARAS to apply for any CBSE affiliation-related work. Here are some important circulars.
Affiliation Circulars on SARAS
The board has issued various circulars for various affiliation-related activities. Some important circulars are as follows:
|Circular No.||Circular Date||Circular PDF|
|01/2022||14.02.2022||Submission of applications for fresh Affiliation under various categories|
|02/2022||22.02.2022||Updating of Online Affiliated School Information System (OASIS) data|
|03/2022||22.02.2022||Online submission of UDISE data|
|04/2022||19.05.2022||Submission of applications under various categories for session 2023-24|
|05/2022||02.09.2022||Revised Timeline for session 2023-24|
|10/2022||12.09.2022||Display of photographs of teaching staff in schools|
|11/2022||04.10.2022||Recommendation of infrastructure & facilities in the Lab and Library & Sports|
|12/2022||14.10.2022||Suggestive formats of essential documents|
|13/2022||14.10.2022||Submission of applications under categories for the session 2023-24 in SARAS|
Timeline for Various Catagories under affiliation
Now in the consideration of the above the online affiliation applications windows will open as per the following timeline:
|Approval for Middle School Syllabus|
Fresh Affiliation Up to Secondary Level
Fresh Affiliation up to Senior Secondary Level
Switch Over upto Secondary Level from other boards
Switch Over upto Senior Secondary Level from other boards
Up-gradation to Secondary Level
Up-gradation to Senior Secondary Level
Permission of site shifting
Restoration of affiliation
Permission of two Shifts
|18th October 2022 to 31st December 2022|
|Extension of Affiliation – (with additional fees)|
Introduction of Additional Subject (Science for Sr Sec level)
Permission of name change of school / Society / trust
Transfer of school from one society / trust to another
|In continuation to earlier issued circular no. 09/2022 dated 02-09-2022, the timeline as prescribed in the said circular has been extended from 30th November 2022 to 31st December, 2022|
Categories through various inspections
The following categories of application for affiliation and its modalities are as under:
Group A Categories through Physical Inspections
- Approval for Middle School Syllabus
- Fresh Affiliation Up to Secondary Level
- Fresh Affiliation up to Senior Secondary Level
- Switch Over upto Secondary Level from other boards
- Switch Over upto Senior Secondary Level from other boards
- Up-gradation to Senior Secondary Level
- Permission of site shifting
- Restoration of affiliation
- Permission of two Shifts
Group – B Categories – Through Virtual Inspection
- Up-gradation to Secondary Level – Inspection of 3% of total applications received
- Introduction of additional subjects in the science stream i.e. Physics, Chemistry & Biology for Senior Secondary classes (in case, the school is already affiliated up to Senior Secondary Level without science subjects). – 100% applications
- 3% applications of Extension of Affiliation
- 5% applications of section increase
Group – C Categories – Through Automated Mode
- Introduction of Additional Subject (schools seeking approval for non-science subjects should update the data in OASIS Portal and offer the subject as per norms of the Board.)
- Permission of Name change of school/society
- Transfer of school from one society to another
Conditions as per prescribed in the CBSE Affiliation Bye-Laws
The schools applying under various categories of affiliation must ensure that they fulfil the following conditions as per the requirements as prescribed in the CBSE Affiliation Bye-Laws before applying for Affiliation. These conditions are classified into the following categories:
- Essential Documents
- Physical Infrastructure
- Academic management and Teaching Learning practices of the school
- Constitution of various committees as per Affiliation Bye-Laws & other statutory requirements
- The complete Inspection report submitted by the Inspection Committee
- Suggestive SOP for preparation of videography
- Review Procedure with respect to rejected inspection cases (Through different Modes)
The schools intending to apply for fresh affiliation with the Board must ensure to obtain the
following 07 essential certificates issued by the concerned authorities as per the suggestive format of the
Board and upload all essential documents along with online application in PART A on the SARAS portal.
The schools already affiliated with CBSE intend for extension, upgradation and other various
relevant categories of affiliation are required to possess all 07 essential certificates and to submit
along with their online application as required.
|S.No||Name of Document||Word Doc|
|1||Land Certificate issued by DM/ ADM/ SDM/ Tehsildar/ Naib Tehsildar/ Registrar/ Sub-Registrar/ Equivalent Land Authority||Download|
|2||Building Safety Certificate issued by Assistant Engineer and above rank officer of Govt. Department||Download|
|3||Fire Safety Certificate issued by the concerned Fire Department||Download|
|4||Facility of potable water & Sanitation certificate issued by the Competent Govt. Authority||Download|
|5||No Objection Certificate from the concerned State/UT Govt||Download|
|6||Recognition Certificate from Competent Govt. Educational Authority||Download|
|7||Society / Trust / Company registration||Download|
Important Points to be remembered
- All the above 07 essential documents are to be uploaded online in English/Hindi language only.
- These all files should be scanned and in PDF format with a maximum size of 2 MB.
- In case of, any certificate in vernacular medium, the translated notarized version in the English language along with the original in the vernacular medium is to be uploaded.
- In case of non-submission of these essential certificates as per the suggestive format, the application shall be rejected summarily.
This is part B of the online application for affiliation on the SARAS portal. The infrastructural details need to be submitted by the school during the online application. These details are verified by the inspection committee at the time of inspection.
These details are as follows:
- The name of the school is prominently painted/displayed on the façade / entrance gate.
- Flex boards or other temporary posters displaying the name of the school will not be acceptable.
- Concrete/Pucca boundary wall of not less than 6 ft in height, enclosing the school campus/site.
- Composite boundary walls which are partly concrete and partly grill/mesh/barbed wire will not be acceptable.
- Ramps at the entrance(s) of the school.
- Ramps/lifts for CWSN to access the upper floors of the school( in case of a multistoried school)
- Appropriate laboratory infrastructure for composite science lab, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Computer lab
- Composite Science Lab in Secondary & Senior Secondary both Schools
- Well-stocked library with adequate reading area
- Well-developed indoor and outdoor sports facilities
- Toilet facilities are available in the school for boys and girls and urinal stations in school toilets with proper partitions.
- Separate toilets for CWSN, boys and girls. These should be provided on every floor (in the case of multistoried schools)
- Aerial view of school covering school campus, playground, Pucca boundary wall not less than 6 feet all around the school campus/site.
- Verification that no public road, canal or thorough-fare, HT line etc. is passing through the land in which the school is located
- No other school/institution should be existing on the same premises.
Note: Recommendations issued by CBSE, vide circular no. 11/2022 dated 04.10.2022 may be referred to for guidance.
Academic management and Teaching Learning practices of the school
Part C of the online affiliation application is the Academic management and Teaching Learning practices of the school.
The school should appoint a well-qualified and trained :
- Physical Education Teacher
This part also contains details for relevant records viz appointment of teachers, Counselors or Wellness Teachers and Special Educators, their qualification and other testimonials during the inspection for verification.
These learning practices and management of the school are assessed by the inspection committee. Schools have to prepare the following documents accordingly:
- School Governance leadership and Management
- Curriculum Design, Planning and Review
- School Life- Teaching, Learning –Assessment
- Process of teaching-learning in a few classes.
- School life- Safety and Hygiene
- School Life- Inclusion
- Teacher development
- Enabling Resources
- Overall ambience, neat, clean and green environment
Constitution of various committees & other statutory requirements
The school must constitute the following committees, in compliance with the existing guidelines. The notification of all these committees must reflect the proper name of the Chairman and its Committee Members. The details of the constitution of the committee will be verified by the inspection committee during the inspection of the school:
a) Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act- 2013
b) Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act- 2012 (POCSO Act),
c) School Management Committee as per clause 8.1 of Affiliation Bye-Laws 2018 of the Board.
The complete Inspection report submitted by the Inspection Committee
The complete Inspection report submitted by the Inspection Committee would be visible to the school within 24 hours of submission of the online feedback form.
The school is expected to acquaint itself with the CBSE Affiliation/Examination Bye-Laws including subsequent amendments therein/guidelines/directions /User Manual etc. of the Board issued from time to time before applying for the affiliation and subsequently after the grant also.
The school is not eligible to start classes IX, X, XI or XII (as the case may be) without a grant of affiliation by the Board.
Salient points to be followed by the schools before submission of application for Affiliation
- In case of extension and upgradation cases, the latest grant letter received from the Board (fresh/extension/upgradation) is to be uploaded
- Appointment of Special Educator as per rule position 2.4.11 of affiliation by-laws 2018
- Wellness Teacher/counsellor as per rule position 2.4.12 of affiliation bye-laws 2018
- The optimum number of students should be as per rule 4.8 of Affiliation Bye-Laws 2018
- Sufficient qualified teachers as per rule position 5.1 of affiliation bye-laws 2018
- Teacher-pupil ratio as per norms as per rule position 5.4 of affiliation bye-laws 2018
The schools may ensure that the following condition with regard to infrastructure are met before applying for Affiliation –
|S.No||Infrastructure||Minimum Size (in sq.ft.)||Minimum Size (in sq.mtrs)||Aff. Rule||Manual Link|
|1||Class Rooms||500||8 m x 6 m||4.1||N.A|
|2||Science Lab (VI – X)||600||9 m x 6 m||4.2||View|
|3||Physics Lab (XI-XII)||600||9 m x 6 m||4.2||Physics|
|4||Chemistry Lab (XI-XII)||600||9 m x 6 m||4.2||Chemistry|
|5||Biology Lab||600||9 m x 6 m||4.2||Biology|
|6||Computer Lab||600||9 m x 6 m||4.4||Computer|
|7||Maths Lab||500||8 m x 6 m||4.5||Maths|
|8||Library||1200||14 m x 8 m||4.3||Library|
|9||CCA Rooms||Separate room for Music, |
Dance, Arts & Sports etc.
M.P. Hall for all activities
|10||Drinking water, toilet||Adequate facilities for potable|
drinking water on each floor
Shall provide clean and hygienic toilets
Total no. of toilets (Boys)- Toilets, Urinals with partition, Toilets for CWSN
Total no. of toilets (Girls) – Toilets, Urinals with partition, Toilets for CWSN
Provisions for CWSN
As per affiliation rule 4.7.3 – The School shall provide proper facilities like ramps in toilets and at entry/exit points for wheelchair users and auditory signals in elevators/lifts in accordance with the provisions laid down in RPWD Act-2016. In case the school is running on a multi-storied building, access to the upper floor through a ramp/lift and separate toilet for CWSN, boys and girls on each floor.
Playground and sports facilities
- Playground with 200 meters athletics track.
- At least 2 outdoor & 3 indoor sports facilities as per the prescribed list
View the document for SOP related to Playground and Sports facilities: Click here
- The school shall apply online and upload all the essential documents mentioned above in part ‘A’ with an initial payment of Rs. 10,000/-.
- The documents will be scrutinized by the Board.
- In case of incorrect/invalid documents are uploaded, the observation of the Board shall be reflected in the progress panel.
- Thereafter, as a single chance, the school shall get an opportunity to upload the correct document (s) within the stipulated time and in case of failure to upload the documents, the application shall be rejected summarily and fees paid will be forfeited.
- No separate representation will be entertained.
- Thereafter, the school may apply afresh for affiliation.
Suggestive SOP for preparation of videography during the inspection
|S.No||Location/Activity to be Covered||Time Duration in Minutes|
|1||The name of the school is prominently painted/displayed on the façade / entrance gate|
The boundary wall of the school is on all sides with an aerial view
Parking and another open area including the assembly area
|2||Playground with outdoor sports facilities||Up to 3 Minutes Wide angle coverage of video|
|3||All Laboratories (Science subjects, Computer, Maths etc.) including stock register and practical files if any,||Up to 5 Minutes for all labs|
|4||Library||Up to 2 Minutes|
|5||Toilets/ Differently abled toilets/ Ramps||Up to 3 Minutes boys and girls|
|6||Drinking water Arrangement||Up to 2 Minutes|
|7||Fire Safety Equipment||Up to 2 Minutes|
|8||Class Rooms: Occupied and Vacant||Up to 3 Minutes in total for each standard primary, Middle, Secondary & Sr. secondary)|
|9||Other Rooms such as indoor games facilities, auditorium, activity rooms wellness rooms etc.||Up to 02 Minutes|
|10||Faculty interaction / classrooms interaction||Up to 3 minutes|
|11||Document Verification||Up to 5 Minutes|
Note –No assembly, welcome ceremony, lighting of the lamp, or felicitation to be organized
The videography should include a group photograph of the IC with the school staff.
Review Procedure with respect to rejected inspection cases (Through Virtual Mode)
- In case after scrutiny of the inspection report, the Board finds the school is not eligible for a grant of affiliation on specific deficiencies, the same will be conveyed to the schools on its progress panel. The school is given an opportunity to represent its stand before the review committee. The school shall apply for a review within 30 days of communication of rejection.
- The review committee constituted by the Board will meet at the earliest possible time and the meeting will be conducted in virtual mode or as decided by the Board.
- Two representatives of the applicant school (Chairman/Secretary of the Trust/Principal/Director/Manager) shall represent their case with valid photo ID.
- The school will keep ready all the supporting documents in respect of which deficiencies had been pointed out.
- The complete inspection of the review committee will be recorded on Microsoft Teams.
- After receiving the review committee report, the final decision of the Board will be communicated to the progress panel.
- The Virtual inspection should be covered through professional videography and videography through mobile/tab is not allowed.
- The schools are advised to follow the steps of the review process as per the SOP by filling up the login ID credentials in the progress panel.
Follow this link for some other important links for CBSE affiliation.
If you have queries or doubts or if any other help is required feel free to ask in the comment section.
Thank you for visiting my blog.