The impact of Artificial Intelligence on Sustainable Development Goals
- Better Environment
- Better Society
- Better Economy
In relation to this Artificial Intelligence can contribute towards accomplishing these goals and making the Earth a better place for all of us and other inhabitants. So let we talk about how Artificial Intelligence impact on Sustainable Development Goals. The major challenges for the world are to provide clean water, clean air, natural resources, sustainable energy, and education. As we all know that there so many problems we are facing with environments, problems with people like poverty and starvation. So far with the advancement of technological growth, we did not succeed with these problems yet. So Artificial Intelligence can help to solve such problems. How Artificial Intelligence can provide a solution? Watch this video:
AI societal Impacts
- No poverty (SDG – 1):
- Zero Hunger (SDG – 2):
- Good Health and Well Being (SDG – 3): AI can help in preparing data for people living under the poverty line and help them by providing food, health, water, and energy easily.
- Quality Education (SDG – 4): AI systems can be trained for quality education and can provide the solution.
- Gender Equality (SDG – 5): AI tools don’t recognize the gender. In some areas, AI can result in negative impacts also. For example, the AI systems or tools are trained based on the situation and requirements of the country where they developed. If we talk about SDG 5 – Gender Equality, there is inefficient research done. The tools which are available such as voice agents and chatbots like Alexa or Siri gendered as female only. To improve this more research required for smart algorithms, image recognition, reinforced learning, or discrimination.
- Clean water and Sanitation (SDG – 6): AI tools can be used for supplying clean water and sanitation to the people.
- Affordable and Clean Energy (SDG – 7): AI can be trained to provide affordable and clean energy but the IA product design should require proper resources and tools.
- Sustainable Cities and Communities (SDG – 11): AI is capable to create smart cities that provide efficient resources to the people.
- Peace Justice and Strong institutions (SDG – 16): Justice and strong institutions based on the rules formed by the different groups of people. So it is very highly impacted through AI. The tools can be trained for the laws and enforcement according to the need.
- Partnerships for the goals (SDG – 17): AI can help to provide a partnership and support the partner to achieve the goal.
AI economical Impacts
- Decent Work and Economic Growth (SDG – 8): The market heavily relies on data analysis. These data may not available in low and middle-income countries. Hence the work culture may be impacted.
- Industry Innovation and Infrastructure (SDG – 9): AI system helps in industry innovation in terms of solving complex problems. It can handle complex operations easily. It can also handle the infrastructural issues with advancement.
- Reduce Inequalities (SDG – 10): By using AI tools inequalities can be reduced as AI tools do not have any emotions. They can produce the results better than other tools. If we take the example of AI used by social media websites to show up the contents of users’ interest in his profile. Another example is job creation using AI tools.
AI Environmental Impacts
- Climate action (SDG – 13): AI can be useful in generating an alert in climatic situations. It can produce the alerts and warn the concerned department about climate change and leads to act accordingly.
- Life below water (SDG – 14): The life below water like animals living under the sea, under the river plays an important role in maintaining temperature and makes the earth suitable for all of us. AI can impact on these by recording their needs and improve the supply chain.
- Life on Land (SDG – 15): AI systems can be helpful for life on land as well. It can promote the use of ecosystems through a various platforms like social media, search engines, and so on.