Working with tables in digital documents – IT (402)
What is a table?
How are tables of writer useful?
- To represent data in tabular form
- It adds readability to the document
- Makes your document more presentable
- The reader can understand data easily in tables
- Helps to analyse data
How to insert a table?
What are the ways to insert the table in MS Word 2013?
|ways of insert table in MS Word 2013
Steps to insert a table in MS Word 2013
- Insert ⇒ Table ⇒ Drag the required table by dimensions of rows and columns. See the following screenshot where we have inserted table of 5 x 5 (rows x columns).
Insert table 5 X 5 in MS Word 2013
- Insert ⇒ Table ⇒ Insert Tabe option. When you insert a table by this option you will get a dialog box that asks a number of rows and number of columns required in the table along with the auto behaviour of data on the screen. Look at following screenshots:
Insert table using insert table option in MS Word 2013
- Draw a table: You can draw a table as per your need. Make the required boxes using the pen tool.
insert a table using draw table
- Convert text to the table: To use this option text must be written in tabular form for good results. However, you can convert any text into the table. Steps are as follows:
- Write the text in the word document.
- Select the text.
- Now click on Insert ⇒ Table ⇒ Convert Text to Table option.
insert table using convert text to table option
- Now convert text to table dialog box will appear. Select the symbol to separate the value in different columns as shown in this screenshot. In this example, I have used space to separate values in columns.
Separate text into columns using the symbol in MS Word
- Quick tables option is used to insert a pre-defined formatted table in the document.
What are the ways to insert the table in OO writer 4.1.7?
- Insert ⇒ Table – Follow these steps
- Place your cursor where the table is required.
- Now click on Insert ⇒ Table option. An insert table dialog box appears.
insert table dialog in OO Writer 4.1.7
- Type a table name to maintain this as a part of the document. Then select the size by the number of rows and number of columns and options like Heading, Don’t split table or border option.
- Click on OK button.
- Table ⇒ Insert ⇒ Table: Steps are similar to option 1.
- From Standard toolbar Table icon
- Place your cursor where the table is required in the document.
- Click on the table icon in the standard toolbar.
insert table from standard toolbar in OO Writer
- When you click on the table icon it will open insert table dialog as above. If you click on down arrow it allows you to select the number of columns and number of rows for your table.
Autofit Options in table
Autofit Options in the table in MS Word 2013
|Layout Autofit Options in MS Word|
|MS Word 2013 autofit options for table|
- Autofit Contents: Allows to set the column width according to the length of the content
- Autofit Window: Allows to set the table width to fit on the window
- Fixed Column Width: Allows to set columns at a fixed width
Autofit Options in the table in OO Writer 4.1.7
- Column Width: Content will be adjusted according to the fixed column’s width
- Optimal Column width: Adjust column width with contents
- Distribute columns evenly: Adjust selected columns with equal width
- Row Height: Content will be adjusted according to the fixed row’s height
- Optimal Row Height: Adjust rows height with contents
- Distribute rows evenly: Adjust selected rows with equal height
- Allow rows to break across pages and columns: Break the rows with the number of pages and applied columns on the page
Select the appropriate option as per your document need.
Entering text into a table
|Select table Row in MS Word 2013|
Add images in table
Inserting Row(s) and Column(s)
Insert row(s) in MS Word 2013
Insert row(s) in OO Writer 4.1.7
Insert column(s) in OO Writer 4.1.7
Delete Row(s), Column(s) and Cell(s)
Delete row(s)/Column(s)/Cell(s)/Table in MS Word 2013
Delete row(s)/Column(s)/Table in OO Writer 4.1.7
- Place the cursor which row/column/table requires to be deleted.
- Click on Table ⇒ Delete ⇒ Table / Rows / Columns
Merge cells mean that combining more than one rows or columns into one cell. It is mostly used to generate headings in the table.
Merge Cells in MS Word 2013
Merge cells in OO Writer 4.1.7
Click on Table ⇒ Merge Cells
Split Cells in MS Word 2013
Split Cells in OO Writer 4.1.7
Thank you for reading the post. Kindly share the post to your friends those who want to learn these topics. If you have any query regarding this topic feel free to comment without any hesitation.