In this article, You will learn about types of software class 11. Software refers to a program that consists of set of instructions or commands which cannot touch or by the user. The software helps to carry out the output or result. So let’s see the type of software class 11.
Types of software class 11
Software can be classified into three main categories:
- System Software
- Application Software
- Programming Tools
The next section of types of software class 11 talks about System Software.
The system software provides an interface between computer hardware and the user. The system software also provides some services direct to users and some other software as well. Operating Systems, Language Processors, Device Drivers, Utilities are examples of system software.
Let’s see each example of the system software in detail for the article Types of Software Class 11.
Operating System mainly operated the entire computer system. Without an operating system, the computer system cannot work. It manages and controls other application programs, provides access and security to the users of computers. Some examples are Windows, Linux, Macintosh, Ubuntu, Fedora, Android, iOS etc.
In other words, an operating system can be considered as a resource manager that manages all the resources of a computer like CPU, RAM, Disk, Network, and other input-output devices. Along with this, it is also responsible to control various application software and device drivers manage system security and users as well.
There are various user interface of operating system:
- Command Based User Interface or Character User Interface (CUI): In this type of OS, the user enters a command to do a task and no graphics or images are supported. The only keyboard can be used as an input device. The user must remember the command to do the task. For example, UNIX, DOC etc.
- Graphical User Interface (GUI): This type of OS supports a graphical interface. Users need not remember any command to perform any task. The keyboard and mouse can be used as an input device. For Example, Windows.
- Touch-based user interface: This type of OS mostly operated on mobiles, tables, or touch screen laptops. For Example iOS, Android etc.
- Voice-based user interface: It accepts inputs by voice and performs the tasks. This type of OS can be used by only those users who cannot use the keyboard, mouse, etc. Some iOS devices supported Siri is an example of this type of OS.
- Gesture-based interface: Some operating supports gestures like waiving, tilting, eye motion, and shaking for operating mobile.
Now let us see the functions of operating systems in short for Types of Software Class 11.
Functions of Operating System
The functions of the operating system are as follows:
- User Management
- Process Management
- Memory Management
- File Management
- Device Management
Here some other system software explained for the Types of Software Class 11.
Utilities are that software that provides the management, maintenance, and configuration applications. Some utilities are integrated with the operating system whereas some utilities can be installed by the user. For example, Disk defragmenter, Disk Manager, Backup and restore integrated with Operating System and Antivirus Software, Disk-Cleaner tool, and Disk Compression can be installed by the user.
Device drivers are software that responsible to makes hardware run. It is used for the proper functioning of a particular device. The device drivers are also responsible for the overall control, operation, and management of particular device hardware. It offers required services by hiding the details of operations performed by the hardware and acts as a mediator between OS and the device.
Now let us talk about application software in the next section of Comprehensive notes Types of Software Class 11.
The application software provides specific requirements for the end-users. This software runs on top of the system software. There are two broad categories of application software:
- General Purpose Application Software: General purpose application software is used to perform general-purpose tasks like documentation, spreadsheet-based tasks, presentation, graphics, or photo editing. Examples are MS word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint, Adobe Photoshop, etc.
- Customized Application Software: Customized application software is tailormade application software designed to meet the specific requirements of the organization or an individual. This software is made as per the need of the organization and individual. For example ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) software, accounting software, school management system software etc.
In the next section of Comprehensive notes Types of Software Class 11, I will talk about the programming tools.
This is the third category in software types. Programming tools are used to write programs, design interfaces, and deploy a program using high-level programming languages.
As you are aware the computer doesn’t know or understand our language. So these programming language tools help to convert the program into machine language through language translators. So let’s start what are the programming tools used for the same purpose.
The language translators are used to convert high-level language programs into low-level language programs. They are classified into three catgories:
- Assembler: Assembler is used to convert assembly language programs to machine language. The program written in the assembly or high-level language is known as source code. The assembles convert this code into machine language that can be read by the machine. The assembler can understand the microprocessor commands written in the program.
- Compiler: Compiler converts high-level language program into machine language. It translates the source code into machine code and creates an object file. Once the code is translated, it brings the information from the object file. It compiles the whole program once and then reports the errors.
- Interpreter: The interpreter executes the source code line by line. It stops the program if any error is reported then and there only. It accesses the source code every time when you run the program.
IDE (Integrated Development Environment) Tools
The IDE tools provide the facility to write the source code, design the interface, and debugging. It is an integrated package of code editor, drag and drop tools to design interface and debugger. So these types of software allow to write code, design the software and debug the program for errors.
Watch this video lesson:
That’s all from the Types of Software Class 11. I hope you enjoyed the article Comprehensive notes Types of Software Class 11. If you have any query or doubts regarding this article Comprehensive notes Types of Software Class 11, feel free to ask in the comment section.
Thank you for reading.
Follow the below-given link to access the contents.
One thought on “Comprehensive notes Types of Software Class 11”
[…] What are Class 11 software types? […]